Your smear test is simple. You’ll be in and out in five minutes. There are a few tips to help make the appointment run as smoothly as possible.
- Try to book your smear in the middle of your cycle. If it falls three days either side of your period, your sample can be hard to read. Just call if you need to rearrange for another day.
- Make sure you don’t use condoms, spermicide or lube for 24 hours before your smear test. They can interfere with your results.
- Understanding what happens at your smear test can help you feel more at ease. If you’re not sure about anything, ask your nurse. You can always call ahead to talk to someone on the phone if you don’t want to wait until the day.
- Go to your appointment wearing clothes you feel comfortable in. Some women find wearing a skirt best because it’s easy to lift up around the waist. If you’re coming straight from work or after a busy day, there’s no need to worry about washing or showering first.
- Try arranging something nice for afterwards, like a shopping trip or lunch with friends. It gives you something to look forward to and reward yourself with.